Can your regular bathing routine best be described as a desperate race against the clock? Do you take a three-minute shower, throw on a bathrobe, jump into your clothes before heading out the door? Yet everyone knows that just a few extra minutes to pamper our skin every day can do us a world of good, improving our sense of wellbeing – both physically and mentally – and leaving us feeling beautiful from head to toe, all day long! Why not go for it?
Here are a few tips to follow on a daily, rather than bi-monthly, basis!
The quintessential bath!
- Massage glove: You can now find synthetic alternatives to the traditional harsh massage gloves; these are softer on the skin. Loofa sponges and brushes are another option. Loofa (or “luffa”) is a plant-based product that can be used daily on the rougher body parts (elbows, knees), but, like the massage glove, only once or twice a week on the rest of the body.
- Soap: Think beyond the standard bar of soap. Try an exfoliating or moisturizing shower gel. You may also want to take advantage of the age-old virtues of Aleppo soap. Composed mostly of olive oil and laurel oil (20 to 30 percent in a good quality bar), this greenish brown soap is hypoallergenic, antiseptic and soothing. Considered a “fatty” soap, it is widely recommended by dermatologists for delicate, dry or very dry skin. Be wary of imitations: if the soap contains oil other than olive or laurel, e.g. palm oil, or preservatives, it could end up drying your skin instead.
- Pumice stone (volcanic rock) and foot files: During your bath, use them to eliminate dry skin and calluses from your feet to get them ready for summer or simply to doll them up for that special someone!
- Body exfoliants and scrubs: A must once or twice a week, if you want to rid your body of dead cells to allow your skin to breathe and better absorb moisturizers and other body care products.
- Epsom salts: To be dissolved in bathwater. They deeply relax the muscles (due to the effect of the magnesium), detoxify the liver and help reduce water retention. (Mixed with sweet almond oil, Epsom salts can also be used as an exfoliant under the shower!)
- Essential oils and other aromatic compounds: Never underestimate the power of scents! Whether it is the scent of an essential oil mixed in with your bathwater or the fragrance of your shampoo or shower gel, aromas have a definite impact on your state of mind. (For example, citrus and mint stimulate; vervain and lavender soothe).
Once you step out of the bath, there are countless ways to preserve the health of your skin, right down to the tips of your toes! Here are some highlights:
- Moisturize: It is important to choose a moisturizer adapted to your specific needs and the climate at any given time. (Ranking them based on level of hydration, from least to most intense: body milks, lotions, creams and balms).
- Use a firming and/or anti-cellulite product: Get ready for swimsuit season! (Firming care for the abdomen and breasts; cellulite-busting treatments for the legs and buttocks, etc.).
- Stay one step ahead of dry feet: Before going to bed, apply a repair care product to your feet and wake up to soft, beautiful tootsies in the morning.
The dermo-cosmetic, health and beauty sections in our sales locations are brimming with a host of specialized body care products for every budget. For sound advice, talk to our sales staff today!