Dry skin is not necessarily lacking in water, but rather in oil – or sebum. While sebum has a bad reputation, it plays an important role in protecting your skin: it lubricates it, boosts its elasticity and serves as a barrier that slows down the loss of water.
Dry skin is due to the under activity of the sweat glands and sebaceous glands. Many external factors can also cause temporary dryness of the epidermis:
- Cold temperatures or hot, dry climate
- Excessive sun or wind exposure
- Heating in homes during winter
- Hot baths
- Frequent use of soaps or fragrances, especially those containing alcohol
- Certain medications
If you tend to have dry skin, be sure to adopt a regimen that involves moisturizing and nourishing your body well every time you bathe or shower. In fact, neglecting the issue or adopting an inadequate skin care routine can cause a series of problems, such as:
- Cracked skin, leaving it more vulnerable to bacteria, toxins and impurities
- Flakes and fine lines
- A rough appearance
- Skin discomfort and sensitivity
- Older-looking skin
- Difficulty in applying makeup
You should know that while dry skin does not cause wrinkles, it can make them more visible. Wrinkles are, in fact, due to aging, heredity and exposure to the sun.
Here are a few ways to prevent or alleviate the problem of dry skin:
- Maintain an adequate level of humidity in your home
- Drink plenty of water
- Use sun protection
- Get enough sleep
- Manage your stress level
- Avoid hot baths and showers
- Choose soaps made with moisturizing agents such as glycerin.
People with all skin types should apply generous quantities of moisturizer on a regular basis. This helps skin rebuild its protective barrier so it can better retain moisture. For dry skin, the best creams are those containing rich and nourishing ingredients, such as:
Certain antioxidants (e.g. vitamins A and E) are also recognized for their hydrating properties.
If you have any questions regarding skin care, consult our dermo-cosmetics consultants! They can help you select the products that suit you best.