Hair colouring products are not what they used to be! In stores today – particularly in pharmacies – you’ll find a wide array of top quality colouring products, each playing a specific role:
- Covering grey (temporary or permanent)
- Touching up roots
- Adding highlights
- Removing or boosting certain tones (e.g. coppers, blondes)
- Creating a multi-tone shade in a single step (e.g. three tones)
- And more!
These new generation hair colouring products offer a host of noteworthy benefits when compared to traditional hair dyes:
- pH balance (often 9, making hair softer, compared to traditional dyes that had a pH of 10)
- Improved hair strength and resistance
- Better looking hair: more brilliance, shine and lustre
- Improved texture: softer, more supple
- Pleasant fragrance, usually fruity or floral (releases less ammonia)
- Assorted selection of high-performance after-care products (conditioners, rehydration formulas that effectively lock in colour by sealing the hair shaft)
- Clear indication of type of shade: cold, neutral, warm
- Reduced colouring time (some permanent hair dyes take only 10 minutes!)
Here are a few of the ingredients (and their main properties) you will find in today’s latest hair colouring products:
- Glycine: An antioxidant that helps significantly minimize damage caused by dyeing
- Various moisturizing agents: They fight dryness due to colouring by sealing hair for light-reflecting results that deliver extra shine!
- Bamboo extract: Strengthens hair.
- Argan oil: Protects, nourishes and hydrates.
- Avocado oil: Fortifies and nourishes hair.
- Linseed oil: Protects, nourishes and hydrates.
- Grape seed oil: Nourishes hair.
- Jojoba oil: Protects hair from dryness.
- Wheat germ: Protects hair from dryness.
- Silk proteins: Increases shine.
- Vitamins B3 and B6 (often found in after-care products): Extend colour hold and add sheen.
- Keratin: Increases permeability (of the dye), boosts strength, resistance and elasticity and treats and restructures the hair.
- Ammonia (as in “free of” or almost): Reduces unpleasant scent of the product, is gentler on hair and scalp and eliminates allergies associated with this chemical.
- Fragrances: Reduces the unpleasant smell due to ammonia or, in the case of ammonia-free products, eliminates it completely. Today’s products are similar to body fragrances, boasting fruity or floral head, heart and bottom notes!