Nail looks from pretty to edgy
Like a gorgeous piece of jewellery, a polished manicure will take your outfit from nice to wow in a blink. This season, put your best hand forward with all the latest nail looks and colours.
The season’s hot colour picks
Raise your hand if you buy a whole new set of hues every season to stay on top of the hottest trends. To give you a head’s up, here are the must-have shades you need to add to your collection:
- Nudes (beige, rose, cream…)
- Glossy black
- Anthracite grey
- Bottle green
For a minimalist, yet on-trend look, wear these great picks on short, well-groomed nails. Chic, stylish and awesome!
Cool designs and great shapes
If you like an edgier look, you’ll be jumping for joy when you see this year’s hit makers. Here’s a glance at the buzz-generating nail embellishments of the moment.
- French manicure
- This great classic is still popular, but it’s now worn on short nails. Want to modernize it? Go for a colour contrast! Paint the surface in a sober hue and add a vibrant pop of colour to the tip. You can also do the whole thing in reverse. Simply add one colour to the base of the nail (in a half moon) and a contrasting shade to the rest of the surface.
- Almond or coffin nails
- The beaten path not really your thing? Grow your nails and file them in the shape of an almond or coffin. Then, paint them in a vivid colour, like bright red, electric blue or green (circa 1990s). Jazz it up even more with a touch of glitter. Heads will be turning!
- Nail art
- If you thought nail art was passé, think again! Jungle stripes, sleek curves, hand-drawn graphic lines and abstract florals are all back for the picking. Drop by your local Uniprix for a great selection of articles that will let you express your inner artist. But remember that moderation is always in style!
Types of nail polish
When it comes to types of nail polish, there’s no shortage of variety available on the market. Here’s a quick overview of what you can expect to find on store shelves.
- Traditional nail polish
- Easy to apply
- Offers a wide range of colours and finishes
- Can chip easily
- Requires a base coat and top coat
- Easy to remove with acetone-free nail polish remover
- Gel nail polish
- Lasts longer than traditional nail polish
- May require a UV or LED lamp (depending on the product)
- Requires a base coat and a top coat
- Comes off with an acetone-based nail polish remover
- Oil-based nail colour – NEW!
- Easy to apply
- Lasts longer than traditional polishes
- Offers extreme shine
- Infused with micro oils and intense pigments
- Nourishes nails
- Requires just one coat
Healthy, eco-friendly options
A few nail polish brands are currently working on offering consumers totally natural, eco-friendly and organic products; but the pickings are slim. You will find a few “green” brands (e.g. Boho), considered so because their products contain few or no ingredients associated with health risks.
Other companies, such as Revlon and OPI, have changed their formulas to remove the more controversial ingredients. To make the right choice, read the list of ingredients and manufacturer’s labelling (e.g. look for “four free”). Toluene, formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate (DBP) and xylene are ingredients you’d be best off avoiding.
Need help choosing your nail polish? Speak with your beauty consultant. She’ll be more than happy to give you a hand!