SALBUTAMOL HFA, 100MCG, METERED INH.
This medication contains a bronchodilator (it dilates the bronchi). Typically, it is used to control asthma symptoms or for the prevention of exercise-induced asthma. It may also be used for emphysema or for chronic bronchitis. Its effects can be felt within a few minutes.
How to use this medication
Before using this inhaler for the first time, or if you have not used it for more than 4 weeks, prime it (by releasing 4 puffs into the air) to ensure that it works properly.
To use this inhaler, follow these steps:
- remove the cap and shake the inhaler well with the mouthpiece down;
- tilt your head back slightly;
- slowly breathe all the way out;
- place the mouthpiece in your mouth between your teeth and close your lips around it -- do not bite it;
- start to breathe in, then press down on the canister once, while continuing to breathe in slowly and deeply;
- hold your breath for 10 seconds then breathe out slowly;
- if you have been instructed to use more than one puff, wait 30 seconds before repeating the above steps.
Depending on the treated condition, this medication may be used regularly or only as needed. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause palpitations (rapid and strong heart beat);
- it may irritate your throat;
- it may cause shakiness.
This product is sensitive to heat. Store it at room temperature, in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.