AVIANE, 20+100MCG, TABLETS-28
This medication is a hormone-based contraceptive. Typically, it is used to prevent pregnancy or for heavy menstrual flow (hypermenorrhea). It may also be used for acne, as well as for other uses. Even though you may not feel its effects, this medication takes effect after a few days.
How to use this medication
To ensure effectiveness, this medication should be taken at the same time each day. It may be taken with or without food.
Birth control pills are dispensed in specific packaging. It is important to follow the sequence of tablets. Always start a new pack at the set date.
If you forget a pill, take it as soon as you remember and then continue to take one pill every day as usual. If you are more than 24çˆƒours late in taking your pill, contact your pharmacist.
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Take it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it could cause water retention and swelling;
- it may make your skin more sensitive to UV rays (e.g., sunlight, tanning lamps) - avoid exposure to UV rays as much as possible and protect yourself when out in the sun;
- it may cause your breasts to feel swollen and tender;
- it may affect your appetite.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
You are advised not to smoke when taking hormonal contraceptives. Smoking increases the risks of cardiovascular disease and stroke. The risks increase with age and with as few as 15 cigarettes a day. The increased risks are significant enough that after the age of 35, smokers should change their contraceptive method.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.