SANDOZ CORTIMYXIN OPHT., OPHT. OINT.
This medication contains a combination of an antibiotic and a topical anti-inflammatory drug from the cortisone family (corticosteroid). Typically, it is used to treat an eye infection with inflammation. It produces its action on its first day of use.
How to use this medication
This medication is for the eye. To use:
- wash your hands as well as the skin surrounding the affected eye;
- gently pull down the lower lid of the affected eye;
- apply one dab of the product;
- close the eye for 2 to 3 minutes, while gently pressing on the inner corner of the eye.
To avoid contaminating the medication, do not let the tip of the applicator touch your fingers or any part of your eye. Close the container tightly after each use.
Continue applying the product to complete the prescribed course of treatment, even after improvement is seen or felt.
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Generally, a treatment with this medication lasts several days. Use it for the entire time prescribed in order to achieve the medication's full benefit.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- when used, it may cause local irritation.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Once opened, the product must be used within 30 days. Any unused portion should be discarded.
You should not wear contact lenses for the whole treatment period of the infection. Use new lenses or ensure a meticulous cleaning of your lenses once the infection is cleared.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.