ALERTEC, 100MG, TABLET
This medication stimulates the central nervous system. Typically, it is used for narcolepsy (sudden or excessive daytime sleepiness). It may also have other uses. Its effects can be felt within 1 hour.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Take it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. It is not advisable to stop using this product suddenly, particularly if you have been on it for several weeks. If you are considering stopping the medication, talk to your doctor or pharmacist first.
This medication may be taken with or without food.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause dryness of the mouth;
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause sleep disturbances or insomnia;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may cause nervousness or anxiety.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
Taking this medication during pregnancy may be harmful for the baby. Women of childbearing potential should use an effective contraceptive method during treatment and for several weeks after the end of it. Ask your healthcare professional for details.
Pregnant women should not use this product. If you're planning a pregnancy or become pregnant, contact your family doctor.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.