POLYSPORIN PLUS PAIN, 10000IU+50MG, EAR DROPS
This medication is typically used to treat an ear infection. It produces its action on its first day of use.
How to use this medication
This medication is for the ear. To use:
- tilt your head to the side opposite the affected ear;
- put a few drops in the opening of the affected ear;
- gently pull the ear lobe down, and back and forth, to ensure that the medication penetrates the ear canal properly;
- keep your head tilted for about 2 minutes;
- return head to the normal position and wipe any excess medication from the external ear.
To avoid contaminating the medication, do not let the tip of the applicator touch your fingers or your ear. Close the container tightly after each use. Do not put cotton or tissue into the ear canal. Eardrops should be used within 2 or 3 months of opening, although the time period may vary from one product to another. Ask your pharmacist how long you can keep this medication.
Continue using the product to complete the prescribed course of treatment, even after improvement is seen or felt.
This medication is typically used 4 times a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Generally, a treatment with this medication lasts several days. Use it for the entire time prescribed in order to achieve the medication's full benefit.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed one. Do not apply more to try to catch up.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- when used, it may cause local irritation.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.