SANDOZ GENTAMICIN OTIC, 0.3%, EAR DROPS
This medication contains a topical antibiotic. Typically, it is used to treat an ear infection. It produces its action on its first day of use.
How to use this medication
This medication is for the ear. To use:
- tilt your head to the side opposite the affected ear;
- put a few drops in the opening of the affected ear;
- gently pull the ear lobe down, and back and forth, to ensure that the medication penetrates the ear canal properly;
- keep your head tilted for about 2 minutes;
- return head to the normal position and wipe any excess medication from the external ear.
Continue using the product to complete the prescribed course of treatment, even after improvement is seen or felt.
This medication is typically used 4 times a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Generally, a treatment with this medication lasts several days. Use it for the entire time prescribed in order to achieve the medication's full benefit.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed one. Do not apply more to try to catch up.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- when used, it may cause local irritation.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.