PROMETRIUM, 100MG, CAPSULE
This medication is a hormone. Typically, it is used as an adjunct to relieve the symptoms of menopause. It may also have other uses.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed.
If you forget a dose, contact your pharmacist. This medication should not be taken with food. It is best taken on an empty stomach, one hour before or 2 hours after a meal.
Information on this sheet does not apply when this medication is administered vaginally for infertility treatments or during pregnancy.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause stomach ache;
- it may cause drowsiness or dizziness -- use caution if driving;
- it may affect menstruation (irregular or absence of menses);
- it may cause your breasts to feel swollen and tender.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
Taking this medication during pregnancy may be harmful for the baby. Women of childbearing potential should use an effective contraceptive method.
Pregnant women should not use this product. If you're planning a pregnancy or become pregnant, contact your family doctor.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.