HYDROMORPHONE HP, 10MG/ML, INJECTABLE
This medication is a narcotic pain reliever. Typically, it is used for pain. Its effects can be felt within a few minutes.
How to use this medication
This product must be injected under the skin (subcutaneously). Do not shake the container before use. To use:
- if in an ampoule, break off the tip; if in a vial, clean the top with alcohol;
- measure the prescribed dose carefully with a syringe;
- clean the skin at the injection site with an alcohol swab;
- pinch the skin and inject the medication into the fold
Depending on the treated condition, this medication may be used regularly or only as needed. Follow the instructions provided by your doctor or pharmacist. If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose. Do not double the next dose to catch up.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. Dispose of used syringes and needles safely. Your pharmacist can tell you the best way to do this.
Consuming alcohol may intensify the effect of this product. It is therefore advisable to avoid consuming alcohol or alcohol-containing products while taking this medication.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause constipation -- to prevent this, drink plenty of water or juice, and eat more dietary fibre;
- it may cause drowsiness or dizziness -- use caution if driving;
- it may cause nausea and vomiting;
- it may cause heavy perspiration.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Do not refrigerate or allow it to freeze. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
Do not use this medication for longer than necessary. If you have difficulty stopping the medication when the treatment is finished, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Rarely, this product causes potentially severe reactions, mostly if taken at high doses or with some other drugs. If you experience agitation, confusion, diarrhea, fever, tremor and muscular rigidity or contractions you should contact your doctor.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.