CORTENEMA, 100MG, ENEMA
This medication contains an anti-inflammatory drug from the cortisone family (corticosteroid). Typically, it is used to treat ulcerative colitis. It may also be used for ulcers in the rectum (ulcerative proctitis). It requires several days to take effect.
How to use this medication
This enema is to be administered via the rectum. To use:
- lie on your left side, with your right knee bent;
- insert the lubricated nozzle of the enema applicator into your rectum, with the nozzle pointed towards your navel;
- squeeze the applicator until the entire dose is expelled, then withdraw the nozzle;
- remain lying in this position to retain the enema inside as long as possible.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause local pain;
- when used, it may cause a temporary burning sensation.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.