VOLTAREN OPHTHA, 0.1%, EYE DROPS
This medication is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Typically, it is used for non-infectious conjunctivitis (inflammation of the clear covering of the front of the eye) or for inflammation of the eyes. It may also be used for allergic conjunctivitis (inflammation of the clear covering of the front of the eye, due to allergies), as well as for other uses. It produces its action on its first day of use.
How to use this medication
This medication is for the eye. To use:
- wash your hands as well as the skin surrounding the affected eye;
- gently pull down the lower lid of the affected eye;
- apply 1 drop of the medication;
- close the eye for 2 to 3 minutes, while gently pressing on the inner corner of the eye.
Continue applying the product to complete the prescribed course of treatment, even after improvement is seen or felt.
Avoid wearing contact lenses while using this product; it may irritate your eyes.
This medication is typically used 4 times a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause watering of the eyes;
- it may leave an unpleasant taste in the mouth;
- when used, it may cause a temporary burning sensation;
- it may cause blurred vision.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Once opened, the product must be used within 30 days. Any unused portion should be discarded.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.