HYDROCORTISONE TOPICAL, 0.5%, OINTMENT
This medication contains a topical anti-inflammatory drug from the cortisone family (corticosteroid). Typically, it is used for inflammation and itching. It requires several days to take effect.
How to use this medication
This medication is to be applied on the skin. To use:
- clean the affected area;
- apply a small quantity, and limit the application to the affected area.
Do not let this product come in contact with your eyes.
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Continue applying the product to complete the prescribed course of treatment, even after improvement is seen or felt.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. Cortisone products can thin the skin and increase the risk of skin infections. Do not use for longer than necessary.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause spots or redness of the skin;
- it may lighten the skin where it is applied.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
[UNIPRIX] © Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.