METRONIDAZOLE, 5MG/ML, INJECTABLE
This medication contains an antibiotic. Typically, it is used to treat infections. It requires several days to take effect.
How to use this medication
This drug is usually administered in a hospital or clinic setting by a health care professional. Specialists have established various protocols for the administration of this drug. The dose and method used to administer this drug have therefore been tailored to your specific medical condition.
Avoid consuming alcohol or alcohol-containing products while taking this medication and for several days after the medication is discontinued. Consuming alcohol while taking this medication may cause vomiting and painful cramps.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause diarrhea;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause a metallic aftertaste;
- it may give urine a dark colour.
If you have any questions, speak to the health care professionals who are overseeing your treatment.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
This information handout only provides an overview of your treatment. Given the complex nature of your treatment, you will receive information that is much more comprehensive and that deals specifically with your needs. Make sure that you have all the relevant information regarding your medication.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
[UNIPRIX] © Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.