SANDOSTATIN, 100MCG/ML, INJECTABLE
This medication is typically used for acromegaly. It may also have other uses. Its effects can be noticed within a few hours.
How to use this medication
This product must be injected under the skin (subcutaneously). Do not shake the container before use. To use:
- if in an ampoule, break off the tip; if in a vial, clean the top with alcohol;
- measure the prescribed dose carefully with a syringe;
- clean the skin at the injection site with an alcohol swab;
- pinch the skin and inject the medication into the fold
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Take it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. Dispose of used syringes and needles safely. Your pharmacist can tell you the best way to do this.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause anemia (low red blood cells);
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause diarrhea;
- it may cause stomach ache;
- it may cause gas and bloating;
- it may cause flu-like symptoms.
Keep this product in the refrigerator and do not allow it to freeze. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.