TETRACYCLINE, 250MG, CAPSULE
This medication contains an antibiotic from the tetracycline family. Typically, it is used to treat infections. It may also be used for acne. It requires several days to take effect.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used 4 times a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Take it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Because it may cause esophageal irritation, this product must be swallowed with a large glass of water. Avoid lying down for at least 30 minutes after taking it. Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed.
It is not advisable to chew, crush or open the capsule of this medication since it has an unpleasant taste. If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose. Do not double the next dose to catch up.
This medication should not be taken with food. It is best taken on an empty stomach, one hour before or 2 hours after a meal. To ensure effectiveness, avoid taking milk, dairy products, antacids or mineral supplements (calcium, iron, magnesium or zinc) for at least 2 hours before and after taking this medication.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause diarrhea;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may make your skin more sensitive to the sun or sun lamps -- wear sunscreen and avoid exposure to sunlight as much as possible;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause vaginitis in woman;
- it may cause severe diarrhea, sometimes several weeks after the end of treatment. In case of severe diarrhea, contact your doctor without delay.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
Taking this medication during pregnancy may be harmful for the baby. Women of childbearing potential should use an effective contraceptive method.
Pregnant women should not use this product. If you're planning a pregnancy or become pregnant, contact your family doctor.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
[UNIPRIX] © Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.