ZYLOPRIM, 200MG, TABLET
This medication is typically used for the prevention of gout, to prevent kidney stones or to lower blood levels of uric acid. It may also have other uses. Even though you may not feel its effects, this medication takes effect after a few weeks.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. It must be used regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects. Be sure to keep an adequate supply on hand.
Avoid taking high doses of vitamin C. In the early stages of treatment, this medication may increase the risk of a gout attack. You should not begin this treatment while you are experiencing a gout attack. If you are taking it regularly and experience a gout attack, DO NOT STOP IT.
If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose. Do not double the next dose to catch up. This medication may irritate the stomach, and should be taken with food. It is best to avoid coffee, spicy food or alcohol.
It is recommended to drink plenty of water while using this medication.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause spots or redness of the skin;
- it may lower your white blood cell count, which can lead to unusual tiredness, fever, chills, sore throat or infections -- if you experience any of these symptoms, contact your doctor right away;
- it may cause a metallic aftertaste;
- it may cause nausea and vomiting.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
[UNIPRIX] © Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.