FLAMAZINE, 1%, CREAM
This medication contains an antibiotic from the sulfonamide family. Typically, it is used for the treatment or prevention of a burn infection. It requires several days to take effect.
How to use this medication
This medication is to be applied on the skin. To use:
- clean the affected area;
- apply a generous layer of the product to the affected area.
This medication is typically used twice a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Generally, a treatment with this medication lasts several days. Use it for the entire time prescribed in order to achieve the medication's full benefit.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed one. Do not apply more to try to catch up.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause itching at the site where the medication is used;
- it may cause spots or redness of the skin;
- avoid exposure to UV rays (e.g., sunlight, tanning lamps) as drug-related skin reactions may occur. Protect yourself when out in the sun.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Because this product is not stable for a long period, it must only be used for a short time. To know the specific expiration date, ask your pharmacist. Then make sure that any leftover portion is disposed safely. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.