MAXIDEX, 0.1%, OPHT. OINT.
This medication contains a topical anti-inflammatory drug from the cortisone family (corticosteroid). Typically, it is used for allergic conditions of the eyes or for inflammation of the eyes. It produces its action on its first day of use.
How to use this medication
This medication is for the eye. To use:
- wash your hands as well as the skin surrounding the affected eye;
- gently pull down the lower lid of the affected eye;
- apply one dab of the product;
- close the eye for 2 to 3 minutes, while gently pressing on the inner corner of the eye.
To avoid contaminating the medication, do not let the tip of the applicator touch your fingers or any part of your eye. Close the container tightly after each use.
Continue applying the product to complete the prescribed course of treatment, even after improvement is seen or felt.
This medication is typically used 3 times a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Generally, a treatment with this medication lasts several days. Use it for the entire time prescribed in order to achieve the medication's full benefit.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause eye pain;
- it may cause a stinging sensation;
- it may cause blurred vision.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Once opened, the product must be used within 30 days. Any unused portion should be discarded.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.