VALIUM, 5MG, TABLET
This medication belongs to the benzodiazepine family. Typically, it is used to reduce anxiety or to help induce sleep. It may also be used for muscle spasms, as well as for other uses. Its effects can be felt within a few minutes.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Generally, it is used only as needed.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed. It is not advisable to stop using this product suddenly, particularly if you have been on it for several weeks. If you are considering stopping the medication, talk to your doctor or pharmacist first.
This medication may be taken with or without food. Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice during your treatment. Grapefruit can seriously affect how this medication works.
Consuming alcohol may intensify the effect of this product. Limit alcohol consumption to occasional small quantities.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause dryness of the mouth;
- it may cause confusion;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause drowsiness that lasts until the next day -- use caution until you know how you will react;
- it can affect your balance;
- it may affect your memory.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely. This drug is occasionally sought out by teenagers for non-medical purposes. Please store in a safe place.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
This treatment may be habit-forming. Do not use this medication for longer than necessary. If you have difficulty stopping the medication when the treatment is finished, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.