Many factors, such as seasonal changes, intense stress, hormone fluctuations and over colouring, can cause varying degrees of hair loss. Read on for our best advice on keeping your hair full and thick.
Beauty tips for healthy hair!
We lose hair every day as part of its normal life cycle. Each strand grows for 3 to 7 years, takes a break for a few weeks, then dies off and sheds a few months later. It is perfectly normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs every day. Beyond that, you may want to consult a health professional. But there are different ways to prevent significant hair loss.
- Massage your scalp just before shampooing to activate blood circulation. The best technique? Using small circular motions, start at the crown of the head and make your way to the nape of the neck. You’ll feel your scalp gradually getting warmer.
- If your hair is oily, wash it regularly. Sebum, which normally protects hair, can keep your scalp from breathing if overabundant. This in turn leads to accelerated hair loss. To select the right product, talk to your pharmacist or dermatologist. Shampoos for oily hair can be difficult to find and choosing a product that is too strong or harsh can further weaken hair. Ask for help!
- After washing your hair, rinse it well with lukewarm water to remove all traces of shampoo and conditioner.
- Let your hair air dry. Gently towel-dry your hair to remove excess water. (Do not rub). Avoid blow drying your hair as much as possible.
- Brush your hair daily using a brush or comb with natural fibres. You must be gentle when brushing your hair. Do not pull or tug at your hair when styling it, since rough brushing can cause damage.
- Do not over style your hair. Go easy on the flat iron and hot brush. Hair reacts to heat; if you style your hair with these appliances, make sure you use thermal protection products.
- Limit your use of chemicals: colouring products, hairspray, pastes, gels, etc.
- Protect your hair from the sun by wearing a large-brimmed hat. Ultraviolet rays damage hair, making it brittle and causing split ends. You can also consider a product with a sun protection factor (SPF).
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle: Manage your stress, eat well and quit smoking. Stress, poor eating habits and tobacco influence the health of our hair.
Good to know!
There are special lines of hair loss dermo-cosmetic products that include lotions, shampoos and capsules. Talk to your dermo-cosmetic consultant to find out if this type of product is right for you.
For more hair care advice, talk to your dermo-cosmetic consultant. She can point you in the right direction.