While there are many different types of massage gloves out there - each with their own distinct properties - exfoliating gloves are generally used to eliminate dead skin cells, leading to better cellular regeneration, skin oxygenation, microcirculation and lymphatic circulation. They tone and soften skin, providing longer lasting results than simple gels or exfoliating soaps.
Exfoliating with a glove is also recommended before waxing or shaving, since it avoids the risk of ingrown hairs.
The various types of gloves (straps, sponges, etc.)
- Animal or plant fibres: Some gloves are made of horse or goat hair, while others are made from botanical fibres like sisal (agave) or saw palmetto.
Somewhat rough, these gloves are recommended for the tougher areas of the body (knees, legs, elbows), but are not suitable for delicate, sensitive skin.
Distinct advantages: They activate peripheral circulation, eliminate toxins and help minimize the appearance of cellulite.
- Kessa: Made with mourning crepe (a knitted fabric), it is a traditional glove, usually black, used in Turkish baths (hammams).
Not overly harsh, it is perfect for delicate skin.
- Knitted cotton or hemp
Its relatively smooth surface makes it suitable for sensitive skin.
Distinct advantages: Its natural fibres are especially durable, compared to gloves made with animal hair or plants (which tend to lose their hair or fibres).
- Loofa (or luffa): It is made of fibres from a long gourd (a vegetable).
Especially gentle. Great for the most delicate skin types.
- Once or twice a week (especially during winter!)
- Use on dry skin before your bath or shower or on wet skin. (Skin is more supple under warm water, making exfoliation easier, but potentially more irritating, especially if soap is used with the glove).
- Gently massage in a circular motion, without applying too much pressure. Start at the calves and move upward, as this simulates blood and lymphatic circulation.
- Avoid delicate areas, such as the face, neck and chest.
The dermo-cosmetic, health and beauty sections in our sales locations are brimming with a host of specialized body care products for every budget. For sound advice on massage gloves and other bath items (sponges, straps, etc.), talk to one of our beauty consultants!