These days, men’s hairstyles change with the trends almost as much as women’s do and we’re seeing a lot more guys sporting stylish, up-to-the-minute haircuts. Combine a trendy cut with great hair care and what you get is pure awesome.
Tips on caring for your hair
Healthy hair is always a big hit. So if you want the ladies to run their fingers through your locks, better start taking great care of them. Here are some tips:
- Whether your hair is long or short, comb it every morning and night.
- If you tend to wash your hair very often, make sure you use the right shampoo. Many hair care products are made just for men with their specific hair care needs in mind.
- Massage your scalp as you wash your hair.
- Pat dry your hair with a towel; do not rub.
- Avoid wearing hats and caps for extended periods. They prevent the scalp from breathing and tend to leave hair looking dull.
Hair care toolbox
Here are some of the hair care tools and products you’ll need:
- A hair dryer, a comb, a brush with natural bristles or rounded tips and, for some styles, a good quality flat iron
- Gel to get maximum hold in short hair
- Hair wax or paste for supple hair and natural-looking results
- Finishing spray (use sparingly or else hair will look oily)
With this look, hair is short on the sides and about one inch on top. Use hair gel or paste to create spikes in every direction or just in the front. It’s sporty, sexy and classy, all in one!
Here the sides are cropped (about one-quarter inch) and the top is only a tad longer. It needs regular upkeep, but pair it with a three-day stubble and you’ll get a laid-back look to die for.
With this popular cut, the sides and neckline are shaved and the top is kept three to four inches long. You’ll want to use a volume-boosting shampoo. As far as styling goes, you can wear it slicked to the back or to one side, or if you want something a bit more casual, tousle a few strands with hair wax.
The mid-length cut
Featuring thicker hair to the neckline, this cut lets you create the nonchalant messy look. Just let your hair dry naturally and style it with your fingers using a bit of hair wax. For a big night on the town, slick it back using a comb and gel. If you have softer features, combine the look with three-day stubble or a full beard.
Taming other unruly hairs and whiskers
To look polished from head to toe, don’t forget to groom your eyebrows, ears, nose and beard.
Tame your bushy eyebrows and make sure you actually have two – the “unibrow” is a definite turn off. Then, trim any unwanted hair from your ears and nose using a pair of round-tipped scissors or special ear/nose clippers. Stray hairs in these two areas will make you look unkempt.
What about a beard? Will it be the goatee, sideburns, a full beard or three-day stubble? Here too trends dictate what’s hot and what’s not. But whatever style you choose, remember that impeccable grooming is a must. So keep your beard neat and well trimmed at all times.
For advice on easy-to-use styling products, talk to your Uniprix beauty consultant today.