Once again this year, cold and flu season will soon come knocking at our door. We can never stress this enough: preventing infections is your best defence against illnesses of all kinds, from the most benign to the most unpleasant.
Cold and flu basics: Did you know?
- There are close to 200 viruses that can cause the common cold, making it virtually impossible to develop a vaccine.
- You never catch the same cold or flu twice. Each time you get a cold or the flu, it is always due to a different virus.
- Children get 6 to 10 colds a year.
- When someone sneezes, the virus is propelled into the air at a speed of 150 km/hr.
- Once present on a surface, viruses can survive approximately 48 hours.
7 cold- and flu-busting strategies
For the reasons mentioned above and to save yourself a lot of aches and pain associated with such viral illnesses, try using the following cold- and flu-fighting strategies.
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle to support your immune system. This includes:
- A healthy diet
- Sufficient sleep
- Quitting smoking
- Moderate consumption of alcohol
- Get your annual flu shot.
- Wash your hands often.
- Cough and sneeze into a tissue or your elbow.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes after contact with a contaminated surface or object.
- Avoid contact with infected persons.
- Stay home when you are sick.
Do you have questions about cold and flu prevention? Need symptom-relief tips that really work? Talk to your family pharmacist for valuable information and advice.