PENTASA, 1G, ENEMA
This medication is an anti-inflammatory for the digestive tract. Typically, it is used for inflammatory bowel disease. It requires several days to take effect.
How to use this medication
This enema is to be administered via the rectum. To use:
- lie on your left side, with your right knee bent;
- insert the lubricated nozzle of the enema applicator into your rectum, with the nozzle pointed towards your navel;
- squeeze the applicator until the entire dose is expelled, then withdraw the nozzle;
- remain lying in this position to retain the enema inside as long as possible.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause diarrhea;
- it may cause stomach ache;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may cause a sore throat.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.