Please call the pharmacy to inquire about store hours or delivery service as they may have changed.
From birth throughout early childhood, children have extremely delicate, sensitive skin. In fact, their skin’s protective barrier is especially thin, making it permeable to various chemicals and ultraviolet rays.
So when it comes to our little bundles of joy, special loving care is needed for looking after their skin!
Babies and young children should only be given a full bath (hair and body) every two to three days in order to avoid irritating their skin and scalp. In addition, don’t use adult toiletries (soap, shower gel, bubble bath, etc.) and scented products on small children. These products are usually filled with chemicals, detergents and additives that can harm the base layer of young skin.There is now a wide assortment of cleansing products, such as bar soap, gels and body and hair washes, made just for children.
Here’s what to look for in products suitable for kids:
• No conservation agents
• No colouring agents
• Neutral pH
You can use the same checklist to choose the right moisturizer.
After bath time – or as needed – moisturize your baby’s skin with any of the following:
• Moisturizing cream for babies
• Moisturizing spray for babies
• Body milk or lotion for babies
• Cold cream for babies (for very dry skin)
What you need to know:
- Before the age of 1, children must not be exposed to the sun.
- Don’t use sunscreen on a child younger than 6 months. You can start at 6 or 7 months, but make sure the product is specifically formulated for babies.
Look for sun protection that is:
• Non-allergenic (free of PABA and oxybenzone [BP-3])
• With an SPF of at least 30
• Water- and sand-resistant
• Photostable (will not break down when exposed to light)
You’ll find toiletries and sun protection products for children in both the baby care aisle and the dermo-cosmetic section (the big names in dermo-cosmetics usually feature baby products). If you need information, talk to your beauty consultant or family pharmacist!
[UNIPRIX] - The information contained herein is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide complete information on the subject matter or to replace the advice of a health professional. This information does not constitute medical consultation, diagnosis or opinion and should not be interpreted as such. Please consult your health care provider if you have any questions about your health, medications or treatment.