FERRIPROX, 1000MG, TABLET
This medication is typically used for iron overload.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used 3 times a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed.
It must be used regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects. Be sure to keep an adequate supply on hand. If you forget a dose, take it as soon as you remember -- unless it is almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose. Do not double the next dose to catch up.
This medication may be taken with or without food. To ensure effectiveness, avoid taking an antacid within 4 hours (before or after) of this medication. Also avoid mineral supplements (iron, aluminium or zinc).
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause stomach ache;
- it may cause joint pain;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting;
- it may lower your white blood cell count, which can lead to fever, chills, sore throat or infections -- if you experience any of these symptoms, contact your doctor right away;
- it may cause weight gain, mostly with prolonged use;
- it may change your urine colour.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
Taking this medication during pregnancy may be harmful for the baby. Women of childbearing potential should use an effective contraceptive method.
This agent acts on your immune system and it may slightly increase your risk of having a severe infection. The first signs of such an infection could be shivers, fever, sore throat and cough. If you experience these symptoms, contact your doctor without delay.
Blood tests must be done regularly while using this medication. A blood sample will indicate whether your treatment is having the desired effect. It will also provide the necessary information for adjusting the dosage to the lowest effective dose, thus decreasing the risk of adverse effects. Be sure to keep all your appointments.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.