TEVA CYPROTERONE EE, 35MCG+2MG, TABLETS-21
This medication contains hormones (estrogen and progestin). Typically, it is used for acne. It requires a few weeks to take effect.
How to use this medication
This product is taken once a day for 21 days followed by 7 days off. For optimal efficacy, it is recommended that the product be taken at the same time every day. It can be taken with or without food. Since this product contains hormones that may have a contraceptive effect, it should not be combined with any other hormonal contraceptive.
Always start a new pack on the scheduled date. If you miss a dose but remember it within the first 12 hours, take it as soon as your remember, then taken the next dose at the regularly scheduled time. If you remember more than 12 hours after your regularly scheduled time or if you missed more than one pill, contact your pharmacist.
Take this medication regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects. Discontinue treatment 3 to 4 cycles after signs of acne have completely resolved.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause menstrual pain;
- it may lower your sex drive (libido);
- it could cause water retention and swelling;
- it may make your skin more sensitive to UV rays (e.g., sunlight, tanning lamps) - avoid exposure to UV rays as much as possible and protect yourself when out in the sun;
- it may cause your breasts to feel swollen and tender.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
You are advised not to smoke when taking hormonal contraceptives. Smoking increases the risks of cardiovascular disease and stroke. The risks increase with age and with as few as 15 cigarettes a day. The increased risks are significant enough that after the age of 35, smokers should change their contraceptive method.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
A treatment with this medication requires regular monitoring by a doctor. Be sure to see your doctor for all regularly scheduled appointments.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.