RELISTOR, 20MG/ML, INJECTABLE
This medication is typically used to ease constipation. Following injection, its action starts after a few hours.
How to use this medication
This product must be injected under the skin (subcutaneously):
- clean the top of the vial with an alcohol swab;
- with a syringe, inject in the vial an amount of air equal to the dose to be withdrawn;
- withdraw the required dose with a syringe;
- clean the skin at the injection site using an alcohol swab;
- pinch the skin and inject the medication into the fold (wait several days before injecting the same site again).
Dispose of used syringes and needles safely. Your pharmacist can tell you the best way to do this.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause diarrhea;
- it may cause stomach ache;
- it may cause dizziness -- use caution when getting up from a lying or sitting position;
- it may cause gas and bloating;
- it may cause nausea or, rarely, vomiting.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Do not allow it to freeze. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.