GAVISCON S/AL, 200+40MG, CHEWABLE TAB
This medication is an antacid. Typically, it is used for the prevention or treatment of ulcers, for gastroesophageal reflux (a condition involving heartburn and the regurgitation of stomach acid) or to help relieve symptoms of heartburn and indigestion. Its effects can be felt within a few minutes.
How to use this medication
This medication is typically used 4 times a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Generally, it is used only as needed.
The tablets must be chewed and swallowed with water. If you find the tablets too hard, crush them and mix them with a little water first. This medication may be taken with or without food.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause diarrhea or constipation, depending on the person;
- it may cause nausea and vomiting;
- it may give stool a white colour.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
When meeting with any health professional, it is important for you to share the following information:
- Your medical history and allergies (medication, food, or other);
- If you smoke, are pregnant, are planning a pregnancy, or are breastfeeding;
- The names of all the medications you take, whether you take them regularly or once in a while, including over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and natural health products.
Keep all your medications out of the reach of children and pets and return any unused or expired medications to the pharmacy for proper disposal.